Standup comedy

This is the first standup comedy video from the mate of a mate. Please leave any feedback either here or on youtube, as any suggestions are welcome.

Personally he has got some of the best hair I’ve seen in a long time and some jokes are pretty good. What do you think?

1. Posted January 3, 2007 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

3 minutes into it, when does he start telling jokes?

2. Posted January 3, 2007 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

So you don’t like it? None of them?

3. Posted January 3, 2007 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Sorry, i didn’t even smile. Tell him not to give up his day job. I may sound really harsh but i just didn’t laugh.

4. Posted January 4, 2007 at 1:53 am | Permalink

Well, we don’t really have the same kind of humour, do we?

I liked some of the stuff he was going on about. Of corse this is the first attempt, so it will take a while to get it going. Think of it in comparison to your podcast…. :P

5. Posted January 4, 2007 at 2:38 am | Permalink

That’s a bit of a low blow. I just didn’t find it funny. By all means he should continue this if its something he wants to do, but tell him not to give up his day job. That’s practical advice for someone if they were thinking of a carrer in comedy. Everybodies sense of humour is different, i don’t like Peter Kay, little britain, Ricky Garvais some of whom people find hilarious, but i just don’t get it.

6. Posted January 4, 2007 at 3:06 am | Permalink

A low blow? Do you feel that I said your podcast sucked, as I was comparing it to this? Well, you know what my opinion of the podcast is, so there isn’t much more to say. I know many people disagreed with me. I was merely pointing out that it was his first attempt, just like the Ignition podcast number 1 was your first attempt.

Your comments were a little harsh, sure everyones sense of humour is different, for example I like Ricky Gervais and Peter Kay, but can’t stand Little Britain, but what would you say if you had gotten feedback like yours on the Ignition podcast?

There is a difference between dismissing something straightaway and giving constructive criticism.

7. Posted January 4, 2007 at 3:54 am | Permalink

What would i have done? Strived to make it better obviously.

What constructive criticism could be given? Try making jokes about the massive hair? Everyones sense of humour is different so you can’t say “if you do this here and that there, you will be funnier”. But OK, i’ll give it a shot:

You seem nervous, that shows and affects people laughing but it will be corrected over time when you do more.

Your topics are relevant, but they just don’t end in funny conclusions. Try thinking outside the box.

I’m all for changing subjects, but yours seem very random like you haven’t really throught your routine through very much. You need better links between subjects. I did like the link between weed and Mary Jane from spider-man, that was clever, the rest…not so much. You need to fill out some of your sections instead of just 1 just per subject.

The last joke didn’t even fit in with the routine, it was just random. “Hey guys, did you know if you add and remove some letters in the word transexual, you can make it say poopie pants!”

Why not make fun of yourself? People love to hear about troubles in other peoples lives which they can laugh about.

For the record, i watch a lot…a lot of stand up comedy, sometimes i laugh and sometimes i don’t; thats just the way it is. It is very difficult to tell people how to improve their “funny-ness” some people have it some people don’t. The only things i could write were mostly about subjects. What constructive criticisms could you give/have you given? Somethings are just hard to give feedback on, it’s all down to taste and opinion.

I’ll leave you with this one, Lego Star wars II is now available on mobile phones, the tag line is “The Empire calls back…” I thought return of the phone call would work as well because it did for Kevin Spacey. ;)

8. Posted January 4, 2007 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Matt. :)

9. Posted September 28, 2013 at 3:02 am | Permalink

Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an very llong comment but after I clicked submit
    my comment didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing aall
    that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say great blog!