Snap

Snap preview has now gone live on all wordpress.com blogs. Matt just blogged about it.

So what does it mean? Every time you, the reader, hovers over a link in my blog, a little page preview bubble pops up displaying the site. That can be useful or annoying.

There are several options:

1. I want to have feedback from you guys: Do you want this on my blog, do you like it or would you like me to remove it?

2. Clicking ‘option’ in the bubble allows you to disable Snap preview for this blog or all sites. That way you don’t ever have to see it again.

Personally I don’t mind either way, so I will make this completely up to you. :)

Posted January 13, 2007 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

I like it. Keep it on.

2. Posted January 13, 2007 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

Hi Cat,

Good stuff! My wife found it enabled on her wordpress.com blog (her quilting business blog) and she yipped when the first preview popped up in her face. She likes the idea though and considering she designed and manages her own business website and generally despises all things ‘Flash’ and that pop up in your face, she found this to be very useful and that’s a rare thing indeed.

So I went and found the ‘Snap’ plugin for a WordPress install type blog like mine and lo and behold, it worked! A bit of configuration to keep my internal links from popping up and it was done.

I say keep it on also.

3. Posted January 14, 2007 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Yay! Finally we managed to get Snap too.It’s a bit slower than I expected though but still,it’s good.

And the pictures they’ve taken don’t really seem to be updated.There’s something about them.For instance if you click on Sha’s name,you see a preview of her old blog template,not the new one.It’s still quite beta it seems.

Posted January 14, 2007 at 10:12 am | Permalink

@ish: I know, it seems the only people who escape that are Cat and Ish. They show their current template, whilst our old ones are snown.

5. Posted January 14, 2007 at 11:57 am | Permalink

I loved this plugin since the first time i saw it. I had to use it right away.

6. Posted January 14, 2007 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Hey, thanks for the replies, guys.

Yeah, I’m beginning to warm to it. It’s quite good, especially as it does give a preview.

However one thing I’ve found is that I’m now on other sites hovering above links to see the preview.

And yeah, Carol, your blog was the first one I’ve actually seen with it. I do quite like it on yours.

And the picture for my blog is actually quite old as well. It’s from the end of november. Reason it looks like not much has changed is just that I’m very happy with the theme and have no real reason to change it. :)

Posted January 14, 2007 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Yw…though the reason could be is it’s the beta version. Once the beta period is over, it might show our current themes?

8. Posted January 14, 2007 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

Yeah,guess so.I do hope they manage to figure out the bugs soon enough.I already left them a comment in their post.

9. Posted January 15, 2007 at 7:12 am | Permalink

Well, the capture is to do with snaps own site. I believe my image was taken when Carol first got snap on her selfhosted blog.

I’ve looked round their site to see if there is a way to reset it, but I couldn’t find anything.

10. Posted January 15, 2007 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Matt probably realized what I meant.He moderated the comment though so it didn’t get posted.I meant to give it in the “Feedback” section but it was down yesterday.Let’s see what they can do.Anyway,Snap’s doing bad on my blog.Appears on a very less number of things.

11. Posted January 16, 2007 at 4:55 am | Permalink

Really? I thought it wasn’t too bad last time I stopped by your blog. Most things picked up.

12. Posted January 16, 2007 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Ohh seems they don’t work when I browse my own blog then.

13. Posted January 16, 2007 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Tried logging out/using a different browser?

14. Posted January 16, 2007 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

And my image has now updated as well.

Posted January 17, 2007 at 7:47 am | Permalink

Yay so has mine!

16. Posted January 18, 2007 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Maybe it’ll update more often now?

I wish there was a way on their site to clear your sites image….

17. becs
    Posted January 21, 2007 at 2:10 am | Permalink

I don’t mind it. I think it can become quite annoying, especially if someone has lots of links on their page. You know the annoying type on some websites you roll your mouse and get a web definition or product bubble.