Everyone turning into stalkers?

Came across this during my more random internet travels. I use Google a lot. And I have used it to lookup people, find phonenumbers, addresses and such like.

Google anyones name and you can see heaps of information on them unless they’re blessed [cursed?] with a common name.

Is this the future? Everyone turning into stalkers?

1. Posted April 24, 2007 at 8:14 am | Permalink

Depends what you mean by name.

I typed my real name into google and apparently I’m a Post Graduate at a School of Politics in the US…Well without that being one hell of a commute I don’t think it’s me and my name isn’t common. So :P

However my Alias is the top link but then again my alias is also my domain name so again….:P

But I do think it is going down that road.

2. Posted April 24, 2007 at 11:59 am | Permalink

My alias brings up a lot plus some random cat food products! Haha.

My name is pretty rare, there are no real hits off of it.

But it is getting to the point that there is a lot of information. Just think how much people could find out about you by looking at all the sites you’re on.

3. Posted April 24, 2007 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Or they could just go on my Site where it is all collected nicely for them…lol

It doesn’t bother me to be honest there is little anything people can do with it, Tell me shit I already know. Try and Sell me stuff based on the Products I have, if anyone gets into a Conversation that even sounds like it’s remotely promotional or some sales crap…They are immediately told were to go. lol

If people wanted to “track” me down it would be pretty easy to be honest, Domain Search anyone? Yea that’s what I thought, bring it on I have my Hurling Stick ready for anyone who wants a piece..:P

4. Posted April 24, 2007 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Good luck finding anything about me with my real name. You wont even get linked to my site.

Just to let you know I have never had cancer and my mums not called Shauna. Can’t believe there is another person with the same first and last name as me.

Posted April 24, 2007 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Now that is scary,

6. Posted April 24, 2007 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Well, your name isn’t THAT rare I don’t think, Tob3z.

Yeah, there is always the way of the domain. can’t track me through wp.com, bu definitely through other places.

I’m not really too bothered, nothink links to my address, only a few trusted people on the net have my address.

7. Posted April 24, 2007 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

That’s not entirely true, when you do swaps online for Games people know your Address. Although I don’t you have much to worry about :P

8. Posted April 25, 2007 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Ahahaha love the pic! Man how I could do with satellite photos of some of the hot chicks in my school :P

Anyway I’ve tried searching myself. If you type “REAL NAME REMOVED”, the sixth result takes you to my blog. If you type “REAL NAME REMOVED”, the fourth result takes you to my blog, the fifth takes you to my facebook and the seventh takes you to my Last.FM account LOL. And if you type “REAL NAME REMOVED”, the first result is my Facebook profile, the second and third are my blog and the fourth is a news item about SOMETHING THAT’S BEEN REMOVED. LMAO I’m becoming like a public property. Hell where’s the privacy? :P

Comment has been edidted to ensure the commenters privacy. Cat

9. Posted April 25, 2007 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Privacy’s long gone, Ish!

10. Posted April 25, 2007 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

I know I know :(

Privacy was gone the day private sex tapes started doing rounds over the internet.

Posted April 25, 2007 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

If you type Shani, you get nothing of mine up there, however if you type my full name, you first get my facebook profile then my blog.

12. Posted April 27, 2007 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Ewll, I got to a random site just now. Tagoon? Seems to e like a Technoati thing. How on Earth did they associate this blog with real name?

Other wise my real name links to a few sites that don’t exist any more. Didn’t realise Google kept them cached for almost a year?

13. Posted December 28, 2007 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Cat, just do me a favour and delete my 8th comment in which I’ve mentioned my name cause it’s showing up in the Google search results. Thanks. :)

14. Posted December 28, 2007 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

I’ve edited your comment so there’s no reference. If that’s not enough, let me know. :)

15. Posted December 29, 2007 at 6:30 am | Permalink

Yep, that works. Thank you. :)

16. Posted December 29, 2007 at 6:33 am | Permalink

No worries. :)

If it makes you feel any better I’ve never seen anyone searching for you.

17. Posted December 29, 2007 at 7:50 am | Permalink

If it makes you feel any better I’ve never seen anyone searching for you.
    Don’t count on it, there have been searches ranging from ish tea to ishmeet stripping! lol. Though the rather hot search seems to be Sha’s full name! :D

18. Posted December 29, 2007 at 7:52 am | Permalink

Yeah, but I look through my searches and there haven’t been any for anyone apart from myself.

Soo many people search for my Gamertag though…

19. Posted December 29, 2007 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

I know I’m not being searched for but it wasn’t a neat idea to mention my full name anywhere.

20. Posted December 29, 2007 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I know what you mean. The name you used in that comment isn’t the same as your FB profile, is it?

21. Posted December 31, 2007 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Nope, it isn’t. That one had my surname but the Facebook one has the surname which every Sikh uses, so it’s more anonymous. And I don’t think it would be much of a problem if someone sees my facebook profile until and unless through that they reach some friend who has a WordPress.com blog and then find me from there. But that’s highly unlikely and too complicated.

22. Posted December 31, 2007 at 8:24 am | Permalink

Oh no, I didn’t mean that and I’m sure back then you weren’t on my facebook. I was just wondering why it was different. Hell, you could call yourself Mickey Mouse if you wanted!

So, every Sikh has one surname they use? /confused.

23. Posted December 31, 2007 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Yeah, whenever some person uses “Singh” after their name, that means they are a Sikh. Hindu’s mostly use “Kumar” and then their actual surname.

24. Posted December 31, 2007 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Hmmm, I always just thought that’s common names, like Smith, Jones, etc. So why change it from your normal names?

25. Posted January 1, 2008 at 6:56 am | Permalink

What exactly are common names? Maybe they’re the same thing.

26. Posted January 1, 2008 at 7:08 am | Permalink

Well, what I mean and I think what confuses me with you is that if I have a name it’s in my passport, etc. Whereas you just pick a name yet still have your other name?

27. Posted January 2, 2008 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Okay, delete this comment after you’ve read it alright?

[deleted the rest per Ish’s instructions]

28. Posted January 2, 2008 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

That makes sense. I guess it just seems strange, because no one in Germany/UK does it.

And I’ve noticed now that there are loads of people called Kumar. Guess I never paid much attention to it!