2nd Cousin twice removed?

English can be a difficult language. There are so many words or terms that I don’t know, even after living here for almost four years. Especially when it comes down to family relations.

This image sums it all up perfectly:

Gotta love Wikipedia.

1. Posted April 25, 2007 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Yea alot of people get Second Cousin and First Cousin Once Removed Mixed Up… but anything bar First Cousin I just call them a Relative.

2. Posted April 25, 2007 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Well, I’m lucky, I don’t have any cousins. My familis small-ish.

But yeah, relative is the easiest way.

3. Posted April 25, 2007 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Relations are confusing in any language. I don’t know half of them in my own language so every guy close to my age is brother and every other lady who’s older is aunt. How do first, second and third matter anyway?

Posted April 26, 2007 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Same problem as Ish. Have to call everyone even if not related Aunt and Uncle.

5. Posted April 27, 2007 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

I can’t even remember the terms in German which is bad. I’m forgetting it all!

6. Posted April 27, 2007 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Bleh, you’re not alone Cat. I never bothered to learn the hindi ones.

7. Posted April 28, 2007 at 3:36 am | Permalink

My family is like this. I go back home maybe once every five years and am always being introduced to people with the words, “You know Ollie: he’s your third cousin from back on the farm” or whatever, and I’m supposed to know what that means. Also, two of my aunts married boys from the same family, but a generation apart, so their kids are my cousins and my second cousins once removed. Or something.

8. Posted April 28, 2007 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Sounds very, very complicated to me. I bet they have some simliar names thrown in as well?

9. Posted May 4, 2007 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

I was once removd, twice banned and three times ignored. Families … why doesn’t mine like me! :-)

10. Posted May 4, 2007 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

Haha, kind of know that feeling…. :)

11. pixi
    Posted June 12, 2007 at 10:34 am | Permalink

im inlove with my second cousin, my dad doesn’t like the idea, what do i do

12. Posted June 12, 2007 at 11:05 am | Permalink

It’s not illegal if it helps…lol

13. Kathy
    Posted August 5, 2007 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

We never used the “removed” language in my family. My father’s first cousin is my second cousin. That person’s children are my dad’s second cousins and my third cousins,and so on. Several groups lived on the same block and one of my now grown cousins used to ask her mother to take her to Cousin Street when she was a child.

14. John
    Posted January 6, 2008 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Can someone help me work this out –

Fred is my Great Grandad on my mums side – His sister is Jane – is the Grandmother of Sarah. How am I related to Sarah?

15. Posted January 6, 2008 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Hi John, I believe that would make her your first cousin once removed.

16. Posted September 15, 2011 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Thanks so much I love this compliments!!! I note your suggestion and I ask to my patner if you can.