It all started in the wordpress.com support forum in a thread that had been going for months in which people were asking for wordpress to support one of the shiny Twitter status badges. However all the Twitter badges require flash which could pose a security risk and I agree with Automattic’s stance that they rather have less features than compromising everyone’s blogs for the sake of a few people who want something.
What many people didn’t realise is that it’s not necessary to have a badge, as the Twitter status also has an RSS feed that can be inserted into an RSS widget. This is the post I posted on the forums and that ended up in the wordpress.com FAQ ‘Can I have a Twitter badge?‘. And even links to me. :)
How to display your Twitter status on your wordpress.com blog:
1) Go to http://twitter.com/YOUR TWITTER USERNAME HERE to view your timeline. Your link will have to have user_timeline somewhere in it. If it mentions friends_timeline you have the wrong one.
2) Scroll down to the bottom and look on the left for ‘RSS’.
3) Right click it and ‘Copy Link location’ for Firefox or similar ones for Internet Explorer and other browsers.
4) Go to your Blog > Dashboard > Design > Widgets.
5) Add a RSS widget from the list of available ones on the right column to your sidebar in the right column.
6) Paste the link from step 3 in, save the settings and voila.
I hope this helps everyone.