How to display your Twitter status on your wordpress.com blog.

It all started in the wordpress.com support forum in a thread that had been going for months in which people were asking for wordpress to support one of the shiny Twitter status badges. However all the Twitter badges require flash which could pose a security risk and I agree with Automattic’s stance that they rather have less features than compromising everyone’s blogs for the sake of a few people who want something.

What many people didn’t realise is that it’s not necessary to have a badge, as the Twitter status also has an RSS feed that can be inserted into an RSS widget. This is the post I posted on the forums and that ended up in the wordpress.com FAQCan I have a Twitter badge?‘. And even links to me. :)

How to display your Twitter status on your wordpress.com blog:

1) Go to http://twitter.com/YOUR TWITTER USERNAME HERE to view your timeline. Your link will have to have user_timeline somewhere in it. If it mentions friends_timeline you have the wrong one.

2) Scroll down to the bottom and look on the left for ‘RSS’.

3) Right click it and ‘Copy Link location’ for Firefox or similar ones for Internet Explorer and other browsers.

4) Go to your Blog > Dashboard > Design > Widgets.

5) Add a RSS widget from the list of available ones on the right column to your sidebar in the right column.

6) Paste the link from step 3 in, save the settings and voila.

I hope this helps everyone.

Posted September 13, 2007 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Clever. How do you get that yellow box though?

2. Posted September 13, 2007 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

That’s just a blockquote. :)

3. Posted September 13, 2007 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Yea, it’s the same as I use Last.FM to show the recently played songs. The RSS widget is a really cool feature but unfortunately not many people know about it’s power.

I tried putting one of those shiny Twitter badges on my profile too and I realized it wouldn’t work cause it has flash and javascript and they don’t use either of them at WP. I had a friend who was using them through an RSS widget too. But I never ended putting them up cause Twitter didn’t excite me enough.

4. Posted September 13, 2007 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

And this theme is rightly called Digg 3 column. I actually get a very Digg-ish feeling when I visit your and Sha’s blog these days.

5. Posted September 13, 2007 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Yeah, so we have to educate the masses! ;)

Can’t believe a simple forum post of mine ended up in the FAQ. :D

Twitter is great, you should have another look really.

And yes, this is the Digg theme, I absolutely love this theme, it’s predominantely white, custom header [even though mine is just a plain whiete one at the moment, my previous ones didn't fit and I'm waiting for one of my photoshop friends to come online and make me one] and it’s got 2 sidebars. Perfect! :)

6. Posted September 14, 2007 at 5:31 am | Permalink

Yeah, but the main thing is for me to get the status on my blog, I have to SEE the stupid site to post updates! lol.

Kewl, How to though. Educating the masses? Whats school for then? :P

7. Posted September 14, 2007 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

You don’t need the main site, there are many other alternatives!

– There is a facebook aplication which lets you post.

– There is Twitbin which both Sha and I use and that sits in your Firefox. . http://www.twitbin.com/

– Gtalk.

– Your phone.

– Twitteroo http://rareedge.com/twitteroo/

And so on… :)

8. Posted September 14, 2007 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

@Ash: School is for destroying a kids creativity and making them feel like they’re jerks.

@Cat: I can make a header for you. I have to make one for Sha and since she’s using the same theme so it wouldn’t be a lot of pain building two headers with the same dimensions. You’ll need to tell me what you want in the header though. If you can provide the image you want to use, it would be even better. You can always e-mail me at ishhville(at)gmail(dot)com

9. Posted September 14, 2007 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks ish, but my mate knows how to read my mind. Simply put, I know what I want, but can’t really describe it. All I know is that I want multiple images on there and he’s known me for long enough to understand my ramblings. ;)

Thank you very much for the offer though!

10. Posted September 14, 2007 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

No issues. Will be waiting to see what comes up then! :D

Posted September 15, 2007 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Woo. Can’t wait to see Cat’s header! Sounds very interesting. Ah twitter. Kinda gave up with it because I became lazy. Think my facebook twitter is the same from last week.

12. Posted September 15, 2007 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Twitter is good. I’m currently messing around with several different thirdparty applications to see which one is the best for me. Still liking Twitbin, but I can have it running the same time as Sage…

Decisions, decisions..

13. zyber23
    Posted September 16, 2007 at 2:01 am | Permalink

Yea but it doesn’t really help those who can’t use the wordpress widgets. lol. I still need to write something to add the RSS feed into my blog instead of taking the easy way out and getting another site to do it instead.

14. Posted September 16, 2007 at 2:10 am | Permalink

And that’s why I prefer wordpress.com, Matt [what's up with zyber23?!].

Yes, it may have limited customisation, but at least things work someway or the other.

Have you had a look at the selfhosted wp forums? http://wordpress.org/support/

And for twitter, well, just stick one of the badges on that we can’t have here!

15. zyber23
    Posted September 16, 2007 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

It will work it just takes a bit of jiggery pokery…of course every time i say that something breaks so. Yea i might go for one of the badges instead.

Of the zyber23 thing is my account for wordpress so i could get the API code thingy to block spam and other pluggins etc.

16. Posted September 17, 2007 at 1:20 am | Permalink

I can see your site being very very broken very soon. ;)

Well, as you’re using your own account now, how about you go to your wordpress.com Dashboard and click ‘My profile’ in the top right to upload an avatar?

17. Posted September 17, 2007 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Cat, I have Twitbin and TwittyTunes but the problem is I CAN’T LOG IN!!! lol. I practically gave up on it. It only works if I use the Opera Mini browser on my phone which routes data through servers in norway for speed…. perhaps my ISP’s blocked it or something..

18. Posted September 17, 2007 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

That’s really odd.

Well, you are missing out.

19. Posted September 21, 2007 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Do you have any idea why an RSS widget would fail to reflect updates from Twitter? I added the widget to the sidebar about 5 hours ago and the only thing that is posted is my first “tweet.” The others I made shortly thereafter are not showing up — I even tried pasting the URL for the feed into the widget again, to see if that would force it to show the other items, but it still doesn’t. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

20. Posted September 22, 2007 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Hi John,

I believe that to be a problem with the RSS widget. I have both my facebook and my twitter feed set up and lately they have been very slow and only updated after 3-8 hours.

Looking at your blog, it seems to have updated.

21. Posted September 22, 2007 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

I thought that would probably be the case, but I wanted to be certain I wasn’t doing anything wrong. Thanks!

22. Posted September 22, 2007 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

No problem.

I’ve also made a thread on the support forums about it, if you want to check what suggestions there may be: http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic.php?id=16039&page&replies=3

23. Posted October 11, 2007 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Hey Cat,

Trying to use twitter over an rss widget on wp and getting errors.

http;//twitter.com/jamesspratt
    gives me:

Any ideas?

Thanks,

James

24. Posted October 13, 2007 at 5:16 am | Permalink

Hi James, apologies for the late reply.

That is indeed you Twitter feed, however your blog isn’t a wordpress.com blog which means you have your own host whereas wordpress.com and this blog are on a Multiuser blogging software similar to yours.

This also means that you can use the Twitter badges provided by Twitter: http://help.twitter.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=39

Hope that helps. :)

25. Posted March 5, 2008 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Came here through the WordPress forums. What I’m looking for is the opposite: sending notifications to my Twitter feed every time I post an entry on my main WordPress.com blog.
    It’s probably very simple but I haven’t the answer, yet. Thoughts?

26. catatandigital
    Posted May 15, 2008 at 8:46 am | Permalink

wow thanks for the tutor cat :D I just started a new blog and trying twitter recently.

27. Posted May 16, 2008 at 9:12 am | Permalink

Glad it helped you.

One Trackback

1. [...] Votre statut Twitter sur votre blog : http://carocat.co.uk/2007/09/13/how-to-display-your-twitter-status-on-your-wordpresscom-blog/ [...]