New look

So I finally wanted to be different and distinguish myself from most other wordpress.com users by getting the CSS upgrade and using a different theme. The theme I’m using is called Diurnal and was one of the entries in the recent Sandbox competition and now it’s found it’s way on here. Big thanks to that girl again.

I fell in love with it straight away, but there are some more exciting bits about it:

- It changes colour and header depending on the time of day.
- My comments appear slightly different than others.

There are still a couple things I want to change, that will be over the next few days. Any comments, problems, ideas, just leave a comment please!

Thanks.

EDIT:

For anyone wondering about the colourschemes, this is a screenshot displaying all the header bits. The colours vary accordingly. :)

List of things I need to change:

- Child/hidden pages are displayed on the top nav bar. Thanks to Andrew / mR junTao for this.
- Links in posts don’t appear prominent enough. I’ve decided against that as I didn’t like the look of it.
- Comment boxes, especially on the contact page. Thanks to Tao again.
- Navigation bar. Thanks, Trent.
- Fix the bachground in quotes.

1. Posted November 2, 2007 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Looking kewl Cat! I was actually considering using this with sandbox on my blog earlier but I chose Copyblogger. Like this because its kewl and because another blog Digg 3 free! Yay! :P

Oh and I’m getting good at being the first commentator everytime! Go me!

2. Posted November 2, 2007 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

*it should read, I chose to stay with copyblogger. lol.

Oh and can you make this comment box wider or perhaps to the center? The rest is teh koolness. What says Chief or Reporting? :P

3. Posted November 2, 2007 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

You don’t like Digg 3? How comes?

Yeah, the comment box is one thing, thing is I know pretty much nothign about CSS, so I’ll have to look into that.

So far I need to fix:

- Child/hidden pages are displayed on the top nav bar.
    - Links in posts don’t appear prominent enough.
    - Comment boxes, especially on the contact page.

4. Posted November 2, 2007 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Cat: Just because everyone in the blue blazes is using it.

As for me, the links in the posts look fine. As for changing the comment box look for this line in your CSS stylesheet -

#comments_form.text_area {width: some numbers}

It may be called something else but thats what it mostly will be. Change those numbers to make it a bit wider. :)

5. Posted November 2, 2007 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

I’ve found that with sunrise I think the colour isn’t so prominent.

And everyone’s using it cause it’s good. :P

6. Posted November 2, 2007 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Cat: Well, I’ll just have to see it in nighty night then! :D

As for my little tip there, won’t work for you I’m afraid. Your Comment Form isn’t that well defined. Call on teh CSS Wizards! :D

And everyone’s using it cause it’s good. :P
    I meant that for Digg 3 and I hate it with all of my Twitteriness ever! :P

7. Posted November 2, 2007 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Well, I’ll look into that when I’m more productive a la early early hours of the mornign. Until then I’m collecting any feedback.

As for the Twitter thing, one day you’ll probably use it! :P

8. Posted November 2, 2007 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Oooh uh this theme is super sexy! I mean like wicked cool! Gotta love all the starz!

Btw, you’ll need to do something about the blog’s title in the header. The “Cat’s Blog” is half hidden under the WordPress top NavBar. Otherwise it’s great!

9. Posted November 2, 2007 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Added to the list of things to change. :)

Cheers.

10. Posted November 2, 2007 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

very cosmopolitan! somehow reminds me of sex and the city, though i don’t think it’s sexy. :P (it’s sophisticated!) you should post in that ‘show off you css designs’ thread in the off-topic section of the forums.

11. Posted November 2, 2007 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Hi Sulz,

I wish I’d have come up with it! I’m afraid it was all wank’s work. :)

12. Posted November 2, 2007 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

I left a comment on fixing the admin bar on my post at my site cat!

13. Posted November 2, 2007 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Thanks Trent, worked perfectly!

14. Posted November 2, 2007 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Comment box is now wider. :)

Anything else?

Posted November 2, 2007 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

Oh wow I loveeeeeeeeeeee this theme. It’s absolutely amazing! Now I really want to see it during the day :P

16. Posted November 2, 2007 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

i post in that thread even though i’m not the one who created the css. just give credit then. :)

17. Posted November 2, 2007 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

@ Sha: Thanks. I’m liking it a lot as well. It needs a bit more work including the sidebar needs to be re arranged a little and I’m thinking of new headers, so it loses a bit of the Sex and the City styly which has no relevance to my blog. :)

@ sulz: I guess and I just read through that thread. I think I will do that once I have fully modified it.

Added the preview image to the post.

18. Posted November 3, 2007 at 7:09 am | Permalink

Woot! Looking good now! :) Btw, it’s showing me early morning [pinkish red] so I think that its synced with your blog timing. :)

19. Posted November 3, 2007 at 8:01 am | Permalink

It’s pretty much perfect now as far as me is concerned. Great :D

20. Posted November 3, 2007 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Nice one. :)

It needs a bit more work, plus I want new images, but that will be done at some point. Glad you guys like it!

21. Posted November 3, 2007 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Looking very good :) Look forward to reading more.

Posted November 3, 2007 at 11:37 am | Permalink

I like it how it is though have to agree with you it does look abit like sex and the city lol.

23. Posted November 3, 2007 at 11:46 am | Permalink

It just gives me so many options, you know? I can have 5 compleetely different headers with different colours. So for example for the morning I can have an Xbox 360 look including green colour, then later something with the cats and mybe brown, etc.

Too many choices!!

Posted November 3, 2007 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Wow. I think maybe you should do the xbox 360? Have it change through out the day maybe to different pictures?

25. Posted November 3, 2007 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Yeah, that’s the plan. Now I just need to come up with 5 distinctive ideas… Got any suggestions?

- Xbox 360 / green
    - My cats / brown

26. Jackie
    Posted November 3, 2007 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Nice theme. Alot of content and widgets to choose from :)

27. Posted November 3, 2007 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

Hi Jackie and thanks. :) Still a lot to do though!

Posted November 4, 2007 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

The colour of your computer? Lol.

29. Posted November 4, 2007 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Haha, that would be black!

3 Trackbacks

1. By November ‘07 digest Part 1 « Cat’s blog on November 19, 2007 at 10:07 pm

[...] New look [...]

2. [...] Lake theme, NaNoWriMo and more.. Considering it has been over ten months since the last theme change it was about time it happened, so goodbye Diurnal and hello Dark [...]

3. By I am Sulz! « carocat.co.uk on October 4, 2008 at 9:32 am

[...] all began two three days ago when, after having used Diurnal for a long time, I decided a change was needed and I consulted the lovely people in the wordpress.com support forum [...]