Women on the internet and on Xbox Live

Against popular belief women do exist on the internet.

null

xkcd

And on Xbox Live:

Dude. Dude! Are you a girl? Will you be my friend? Dude, accept my friend request! Let’s hook up!

How old are you? Where do you live? Do you have a MySpace page?

bs angel

I think that will be the main reason for me to cancel my Xbox Live account. I’m 80% leaning towards it…

1. Posted November 19, 2007 at 9:33 am | Permalink

So Cat, are you a dudette? :P

How old are you? Where do you live? Do you have a MySpace page?
    ALM? Sort of like the old chat ASL? lol. Wait it’s still ASL where S could be M [for MySpace] and F[for Facebook]. Hows that? :D

Oh and kewl new XBox live avatar.

2. Posted November 19, 2007 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Yes, yes I am!

Thanks, it’s Lilah from Ctrl-Alt-Del. :)

3. Posted November 19, 2007 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Okay, I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del expecting Lilah to appear on screen. But well, the task manager appeared instead. Wait, is Lilah impersonating the task manager?! Am I going bonkers?! Yea probably.

Anyhow, yes we do act like that because girls aren’t geeky by default. It’s a basic male thinking pattern you can’t do much about. We are over-hormoned and behave like that whenever we see anything female. Some even get excited by females of other species but well, that’d be too much information. So bottomline, you can expect anything from a guy. Even a request for showing off his assets to you on a webcam :P

4. Posted November 19, 2007 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Ctrl-Alt-Del. Lilah is a gamer and Ethan’s [the main guy] girlfriend.

That’s no excuse, Ish!

5. Posted November 19, 2007 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

I’m not making an excuse! Why should I? I don’t go around hunting for dudette’s on forums! :P

And come on, did you really that I was so dumb that I would have pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del and though the task manager was Lilah? What’s with you “The Greatest and the most Amazing Cat?” :P

6. Posted November 19, 2007 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Holy cow, is it really that bad out there for women? I had no idea. And as far as Xbox Live goes, I have only had 2 respectful conversations at all! A lot of it depends on the game in that regard, in Halo 2 or 3, they’re all 12 year old thugs in training. However on Carcassonne (Xbox Live Arcade game) and Team Fortress 2, I’ve found decent folks are to be found.

Good luck with all the other a55holes though!

7. Posted November 19, 2007 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks. I think I’ve just had enough of Xbox Live for now. I used to love it and be on every night, but now I find I just don’t feel like I want to go back and play more. It’s a combination of things and being hit on pretty much every other game is annoying..

Posted November 20, 2007 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Serious…if you ask a guy to show you his assets on webcam he’ll do it? No way. That’s why I cancelled my Hi5 account for the reasons Cat mentioned above. It gets annoying when you keep getting emails ask for them to add you and one guy got desperate to send me his mobile number and to call him twice.

9. Posted November 20, 2007 at 9:29 am | Permalink

have u tried second life …
    seems like lots of girls r thr :D…

10. Posted November 20, 2007 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

@Sha: You shut your Hi5 account because a guy refused to show you his assets on webcam? You said that, look at your comment again!

And yes, most guys will show you their assets on webcam even without you asking for it. You just need to be in the right chat room. I’m not talking about every guy in here but I know quite a number of them would happily show.

11. Posted November 20, 2007 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

I just wish everyone was treated the same, you know? I don’t want to hear ‘ZOMG, she’s a girl’ all the time, I’d much rather be seen for who I am.

12. Posted November 22, 2007 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Are you hot? Because that is absolutely relevant to your skill level when playing video games.

I survive by surrounding myself with like minded gamers. I belong to two adult gaming communities and get to play with awesome people who enjoy my company because I am somewhat fun to be around. Gender is irrelevant.

Don’t let them chase you away. Xbox Live and the internet is cram packed full of jerks. The jerks are assholes to everybody regardless of your gender, race, religion, etc. In one ear and out the other. :)

13. Posted November 23, 2007 at 7:48 am | Permalink

Yeah, i know what you mean and all the people on my FL [all but two are guys] are cool and we joke and havea good time. It’s just lately I’ve kind of had enough of it. There’s hassle in Matchmaking for example on Halo and I get targeted specifically. Or arguments break out or I get called every swearword they can think of.

It’s been three years and for every cool and decent guy on Xbox Live there are hundreds which aren’t…

14. bs angel
    Posted November 23, 2007 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

I agree. Except maybe I would put it at a million jerks for every nice one. ;)

That degrading attitude is present on Live and even more so in the internet it seems. I received so much hate mail after people read that Top 10 article. The primary reason why I could laugh it off is because 99% of the nasty messages used the very same insults from my list. I guess they still couldn’t think of anything new.

I wish I could share some words of wisdom to make you feel better. But I don’t have any. The gaming world is still a very negative place for us and that won’t be changing any time soon. I agree it gets ridiculously tiring.

15. Posted November 24, 2007 at 5:59 am | Permalink

I bet you did, some of the comments were out of order already. Which is why I like my blog to be smaller and with less visitors [although everyone is of course very welcome!].

I guess I just need a break. I’ve not played Xbox Live in a while and will just concentrate on single player games for now. And Mass Effect will take my time anyway. :)

Thanks for the comment though, it is verynice to know that I’m not the only one which it does feel like sometimes.

16. Posted March 13, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

This is a topic which is close to my heart… Best
    wishes! Exactly where are your contact details though?

17. Posted March 28, 2014 at 4:43 am | Permalink

Hello to every օne, the contentѕ existiոg at this web page
    are genuinely remarkable for people experience, well, keep up
    the nice ѡork fellows.

18. Posted March 28, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Can you tell us more about this? I’d love tο find out more
    Ԁetails.

19. Posted March 31, 2014 at 1:46 am | Permalink

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that
    it’s truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels.
    I will appreciate if you continue this in future. A lot of people will be benefited from your writing.

Cheers!

20. Posted April 7, 2014 at 1:56 am | Permalink

I’m not sure why but this site is loading incredibly slow for me.

Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end?
    I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.

21. Posted April 15, 2014 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite
    justification seemed to be on the internet the easiest thing to be aware
    of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people think about worries that they plainly do not
    know about. You managed to hit the nail upon
    the top and defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people
    could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more.
    Thanks

22. Posted April 17, 2014 at 1:38 am | Permalink

Another fantasy method I have heard of is the chin wrap.
    The starting point when wanting to lose fat from a body
    part, no matter if it’s the belly, the hips or the chin is
    to adopt a healthy lifestyle and to start burning
    more calories than you eat. After all, Icon is know for pulling out all the stops.
    Without staying “optimally fit”, we may all be subject to the
    dreaded “Double Chin” especially as we age. So by putting
    on muscle, you are requiring your body to use more calories
    each day in order to hold onto that muscle tissue.

2 Trackbacks

1. By November ‘07 digest Part 2 « Cat’s blog on December 2, 2007 at 8:56 am

[...] Women on the internet and on Xbox Live [...]

2. [...] refuse to consider even getting it. I also know people who are long time users but are considering canceling their accounts because they are tired of the negative atmosphere. Microsoft would hopefully retain and get more [...]