Mass Effect is a game I’ve been wanting to play for almost two years now. I finally managed to get it on Thursday and have been playing it A LOT since, but haven’t really touched on the main mission.
Be aware, there may be spoilers to the sidequests.
- It is a very big game. Many planets, many people.
- It is incredible beautiful.
- There are only a very limited number of loading screens. For example it’s possible walking round the entire Citadel Station [the main area with council, shops, bars, medical, security, embassies and much more] without a single loading screen.
- Apart from the game’s main story there are many underlining stories, such as Xenophobia with aliens distrusting humans, humans distrusting aliens and personal vendettas.
- There are some interesting moral decisions, such as whether genetic treatment for babies with a possible fatal condition is good or if experiments for ‘gifted’ children can cause problems later on.
- The voice overs and dialogue options are superb.
- The music.
- The extremely powerful scenes, such as but not only the Council meetings.
- Some great side missions, such as:
- Being interviewed for TV.
- A ‘religious’ sect with a leader named ‘Father’ Kyle.
- Hostage situations.
- Illegal experiments.
- Whether a dead soldiers body should be used to conduct experiments that can save thousands or be given to the husband.
The only ‘bad’ aspects so far:
- Not being able to access the Journal when looking at the Galaxy map. Yes, it’s an absolute minor point, but still annoying!
- The party members don’t feel as they did on KotOR I and II. There isn’t as much incentive to learn their backstory.
- Kaiden Alenko has the same voice actor as Carth Onasi from KotOR. I keep wondering what Carth is doing there and how he escaped ‘Star Wars’!
- Seth Green’s voice acting is great, but whenever I talk to his character, Joker, I get reminded of this outtakes video he did.
- Thresher Maws. They literally scare the shit out of me.
The game takes many aspects from games that I love. Some are:
- Minor elements such as persuasion ['Charm'] and threat ['Intimidate'] from the KotOR series.
- Being able to make a speech. KotOR again [KotOR II, Dantooine].
- News stories that are affected by the actions in the game and maybe slightly altered for the ‘masses’! Deus Ex Invisible War.
Some of the great quotes so far:
She may save more lives in death than she did in life.
“The environmental suits protect us against diseases.”
“Ah. Well, I’ll try not to sneeze!”
Conversation between Kaiden and Tali.
Put the Normandy in my hands and I’ll make her dance for you. Just don’t ask me to get up and dance, unless, you know, you like the sound of snapping shin bones!
Joker about his ability to fly and his condition with weak bones.
This is an amazing game which my post probably doesn’t even reflect. Well worth the wait. :)
To finish it off, a random quote from Matt that came up on msn which had to be included:
I mean, not ZOMG, but like, WTF.
And as a very last thing, this very much reminds me of myself at the moment.