1. 12. 2007

And the official run for Christmas has once again begun [as I've been ill I haven't left the house, so I've not seen the chaos in town], today is the day people worldwide open their advent calenders.

But where does the tradition come from?

The origins of the Advent calendar come from German Lutherans who, at least as early as the beginning of the 19th century, would count the days of Advent physically. Often this meant simply drawing a chalk line on the door each day, beginning on December 1.

Wikipedia

So, it’s another German tradition, just like Nikolaus.. Looks like us Germans were at least good for something!

I hope everyone has a relaxing pre Christmas time. Don’t stress yourselves too much. It’s not worth it. :)

Posted December 1, 2007 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

I miss my advent calender -Sob.-

2. Posted December 1, 2007 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

That was quick! I only just posted this!

Well, you are in luck, for I will post a different advent calender image for every day until christmas. :)

Why don’t you have one?

3. Posted December 1, 2007 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Pre relaxing Christmas time? You bet. I’ve got exams :}

4. Posted December 1, 2007 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Yeah, stop complaining. :P

When are your exams?

5. Posted December 1, 2007 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

They started today and will go on till the 15th. And results after that so the birthday and the Christmas is most probably ruined :(

6. Posted December 1, 2007 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Oh no.. When is your birthday?

Posted December 1, 2007 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

My birthday is next tuesday..and yes Ish you’re not the only ones having exams! I have major ones in Jan!!!

8. Posted December 2, 2007 at 5:08 am | Permalink

Next Tuesday, yey. You looking forward to it?

9. Posted December 2, 2007 at 7:04 am | Permalink

Mine’s on the 20th.

@Sha: I’m having exams in December right now, then in January and then in March again..wanna say anything now? :P

Btw Cat, the white WP dashbar on the top is looking very sexy.

10. Posted December 2, 2007 at 7:13 am | Permalink

Haha, are we having a competition on who’s got more exams? I’ve got none. :P

And thank you, glad someone noticed! :)

11. Posted December 2, 2007 at 9:58 am | Permalink

You’re a lucky cat, Cat.

And yea, I noticed. I know I’ve got to review you and so I keep looking for new things that happen here. But that review’s not coming anytime soon. Most probably will be delayed till after Christmas.

12. Posted December 2, 2007 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Thank you, I think I am [well, once I'm fully back and not ill any more. :)].

Yeah, push the review a bit back, I’m going to use the next few weeks to change a few things here and there, like the headers for example. It feels a bit too generic at the moment.

And your other stuff is far more important. It must be sooo bad having exams in December?

13. Posted December 2, 2007 at 11:48 am | Permalink

It’s not all that bad because it’s become a habit now. I’ve been having exams in December for something like 10 years now. Earlier I would be happy around this time because I was a genius and would get good marks but things are different now. For the last 3-4 years, the birthday and Christmas have not been very special but still I like Christmas, and I don’t know why. Maybe because it’s global and there’s a good mood everywhere.

Posted December 2, 2007 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Nope I’m not celebrating this year. My mother cancelled the party -sob.- And okay Ish you beat me! But does your university place depend on them?

15. Posted December 2, 2007 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Well, I’m not too sure about the ‘good mood everywhere’. People over here generally aren’t, they just get drunk. ;)

How comes she cancelled the party? That’s not very nice of her…

16. Posted December 2, 2007 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

@Sha: Yes, it does.

@Cat: You should see what my mother does :P

Posted December 2, 2007 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

@Ish: Okay you’re worse off than me.

@Cat: Her reasoning is that she wanted to hold a new years eve party more than celebrate my 18th so no party for this girl lol.

18. Posted December 2, 2007 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Well, that isn’t really fair…

19. Posted December 2, 2007 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

It’s okay. Imagine everyone from the sweeper in the house to the sweeper of the street getting things on my birthday and me getting nothing. That’s called unfair.

Posted December 2, 2007 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Well Ish..if you want an xmas pressie…I need my 18th birthday :P

21. Posted December 2, 2007 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Awww, Ish, you’re almost succeeding in maing me feel sorry for you and sending you a present. But only almost. ;)

22. Posted December 2, 2007 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

@Cat: Ahh, all that effort and still I’m stuck at almost? It’s very difficult making you feel sorry for oneself, cat.

@Sha: Well, I can’t give you a party so I’m not expecting a Christmas present either. :P

Posted December 2, 2007 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Damn…and all I hoped for was an 18th birthday party :P

24. Posted December 2, 2007 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

All that effort?! You hardly did anything!

So no presents for anyone, that sucks..

Posted December 3, 2007 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Wait…I can send photos of presents I would get you guys if that would help? :P

26. Posted December 4, 2007 at 6:09 am | Permalink

Hmmm, nope. Sorry. :P

Presents or else!

Posted December 4, 2007 at 7:36 am | Permalink

Damn…okay…pressies will come in January..not too late then I hope.

28. Posted December 4, 2007 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Sha, I was about to post a happy birthday thing on your blog this morning when my net cut out. Ask Matt, I told him. :P

Either way, dialup atm, so I’m not sure I’ll make it to your blog today.

Have a very good birthday. :)

Posted December 5, 2007 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Thank you cat :) I didn’t check this side of your blog out yesterday but lol thank you very much!

30. Posted December 5, 2007 at 11:07 am | Permalink