Good morning, good afternoon, good evening or good night and thanks for reading yet another TwitLight! Today’s TwitLight is about someone I’ve briefly mentioned in @ingridf’s TwitLight last week which you really should read if you haven’t done so already!
But anyways, today it’s all about @akaSylvia and just like with many others I don’t even know where to begin! She speaks several languages, loves flying yet has a fear of landing and is a writer. Most importantly to many on Twitter, however, she is responsible for Satscenes.
Twitter Blog is the host of Saturday Scenes, photographs of people enjoying their Saturday from around the world. Simply tweet the url of your photograph (taken on a Saturday) to @SatScenes to be included. Follow SatScenes for more details and to see each set of Saturday Scenes as they come out.
Last week’s edition was particularly great.
In addition to creating SatScenes and bringing many people together she is a great person on Twitter and you should follow her if you don’t already!
Ladies and gentlemen: It’s @akaSylvia!
1. Where are you from?
I was born in Germany and grew up in California. I moved back to Europe in 1989 and my son identifies as English. We currently live in Spain.
2. How old are you?
3. What do you do for a living?
I’m a freelance writer
4. What does your alias/nickname mean and how did you come up with it?
“Sylvia” is often taken on systems like this with a flat namespace. akaSylvia (also known as) is usually free (but not always and if you run into the akaSylvia who describes himself as a 50-year-old male, rest assured that that is not me).
5. What do you want to be when you grow up and has that changed at all since you were little?
I wanted to be the first woman to walk on the moon. My teacher told me that I was being silly. The school principal asked me how I was going to deal with girls older than me who wanted to do the same thing – as only one person could be first. I gave up on the idea and now, 35 years later, it still hasn’t been done. I probably wouldn’t have made it through all that astronaut training anyway, though.
6. What song are you thinking about right now?
Oh no! That put me on the spot. I wasn’t really thinking about music but when I read the question, a Blondie song suddenly popped into my head:
7. Do you have a Last.fm profile?
Yes, I’m akaSylvia on Last.fm but as I don’t tend to listen to music on the computer unless I’ve been drinking, the resulting collection is somewhat bizarre.
8. What are you reading at the moment? [Book, magazine, website, Wikipedia article..]
The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson.
9. Which video game are you playing these days and is it as good as you thought it would be? [provided you play video games that is!]
I play Everquest2 most evenings.
10. What is the weather like at the moment?
It’s overcast and windy! I hope summer arrives soon.
11. What are your plans for the rest of the day?
I have a long list of articles to research and write. I probably will actually finish about half of it today.
12. If you could replace anyone in any TV show, who would you pick?
This is tough because I don’t really watch much television. I was thinking maybe Uhura from Star Trek but I think possibly I subconsciously read the next question!
13. If you had the chance to work on the Enterprise [Star Trek ship!], what job would you have?
14. Seeing that I’m a grumpy person in the morning I’ve realised I can’t live with people that are overly happy as soon as they wake up. Would you be a good flatmate?
Very good. My friends and family know to avoid me for 30 minutes after I have woken up. Once I’ve had a coffee and some quiet time, I’m a lot more fun to be around.
15. What is the best website you’ve come across recently?
I’m still amazed at the cleverness and competence of Youtube. It’s hard to consider a web without it.
16. How long have you been on Twitter for and when did you realise you were sucked in by it?
I joined twitter around a year ago, maybe less. At first, I just used it to send links out and was a bit taken aback by the @replies I received from people. I felt like it was rude to talk to just one person.
Once I stopped thinking of twitter as a “one-to-many” broadcast system and started thinking about it as a chat system where I could define my own chat rooms based on following, I was addicted.
17. Settle this question for me: PC or Mac?
18. And another one: ice cream or cake?
19. Fill this out however you want: “Today I am ____ and I ____, but ____, because ____.”
Today I am grumpy and I feel guilty for being distractable and not getting much done, but I don’t beat myself up too much because I know in ten years I won’t even remember what made today upsetting.
20. What do you want everyone to know about you, who are you, what makes you tick? [aka describe yourself]
Difficult! I want people to see me as happy and fun-loving and cheerful even though I know I’m not! I can be rather intense and serious and I guess that’s not a bad thing but it’s not really how I want people to know me. That’s a bit shallow, isn’t it.
21. What is the last thing that you’ve felt proud about?
I wrote an incredibly silly short story, not for publication but just for a group of friends. It had no purpose other than to make a couple of people smile. They did and I was very happy. :D
22. If I wanted to stalk you on the internet where would I have to go?
I’m all over the internet!
And I’m on Flickr.
23. Any more comments?
Are we done yet? I’m running out of words! ;)
Thank you very much!