What does YOUR handwriting look like?

I have now been able to write for 19 years since I was first taught the ‘Vereinfachte Schreibschrift’ which translates to English as ‘Basic Cursive penmanship’. It is the standard form taught across all the primary schools in Germany and demands the writer to write all the letters joined together with the exception of the lower case ‘t’.

As easy as it is to first pick up, it’s very difficult making it look any good, especially considering German words can be quite long due the composite nature of the language. I mostly struggled keeping all the text on the lines and often even missed them completely!

Throughout secondary school my written language changed many, many times. I soon moved away from certain letters, such as the p, t and z and likened it more to the printed versions of them, as well as writing a majority of the letters individually.

There isn’t a clear defined pattern though which was apparent when I looked through my school material the other week. In my year 8 Latin exercise book, for example, my written language leaned to both the left and the right within weeks and I used printed, clearly legible letters as well as several forms of cursive.

Only since leaving school it’s become a more standard version and evolved to the way it is now, even though I barely use it at all these days due to typing everything on a keyboard. This is something the BBC did an article on back in February:

A century from now, our handwriting may only be legible to experts.

For some, that is already the case. But writer Kitty Burns Florey says the art of handwriting is declining so fast that ordinary, joined-up script may become as hard to read as a medieval manuscript.

“When your great-great-grandchildren find that letter of yours in the attic, they’ll have to take it to a specialist, an old guy at the library who would decipher the strange symbols for them,” says Ms Florey, author of the newly-published Script and Scribble: The Rise and Fall of Handwriting.

I disagree that it will be impossible to read, but I do wish that I have more chance to write by hand. It’s not realistic though. One of the great things about writing on a computer is that it’s easy searching for something that was written before. A simple CTRL+F and that’s it. And changing the order of words, paragraphs or simply eradicating mistakes made is a lot more complicated.

In the same article they also asked for submissions of people’s handwriting to see the differences and while I submitted one, it wasn’t picked for the followup post. The different results from people all over the world are astounding though.

I would like to try this here as well and compare the different styles of people. There are two pangrams in the English language and they are:

How quickly daft jumping zebras vex.

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

If you are interested in submitting your handwriting [and I sure hope you are!] with one or both sentences, this is the way to do it.

What to do:

1. Write either or both of the above sentences on a piece of paper.
  2. Write your name or alias and your age or age group on there. You can add country or location, too, if you’d like.
  3. Scan it or, if you don’t have a scanner, take a photo of it. You can use your camera phone or webcam, the quality doesn’t matter as long as it’s possible to read.
  4. Submit it to me using one of the below options:

How to submit:

• Use the contact form to email me a link to your image hosted on the internet, for example at Imageshack.
  • Leave a comment on this post with a link to the image.
  • Send me a direct message on Twitter with a link to the image.
  • Email me the image at catha01 [at] gmail [dot] com

I will be making a post with all the images in a few days provided I’ll actually get some entries!

1. Posted April 21, 2009 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Love this kind of research! Here is the link http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff204/sfxbox360/SFXLADYJ.jpg

2. Posted April 21, 2009 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

By @GeminiAce: http://twitpic.com/3pon9

3. Posted April 21, 2009 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

I have appalling handwriting. When I went to school in the late 70s, children were taught to print then taught nice cursive later – while being sure not to squash their originality, naturally! Unfortunately I moved district when I moved to middle school aged 8 and found myself in a class of children who were already joining up. Who wants to write like a baby? So I kind of made up my own way…it refined slightly over the years as I copied nice bits from other people’s writing but that, and today’s tendency to write nothing more taxing than a shopping list or birthday card, has left me with a terrible scrawl. I really should have been a doctor!

IMG_5320

4. Posted April 22, 2009 at 5:51 am | Permalink

Here you go:

5. Posted April 22, 2009 at 7:56 am | Permalink

@craytonc submitted one via email.

6. Posted April 22, 2009 at 10:51 am | Permalink

@ancientnation via Twitter: http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9107/img34063726422.jpg

7. Posted April 22, 2009 at 11:23 am | Permalink

@Sparc via Twitter http://ourspaceonthenet.com/handwriting.jpg

8. Posted April 22, 2009 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

I put the image here: http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8112/handwriting.jpg
    [marchino]

9. Posted April 22, 2009 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

oh, gld you like my g :)
    [ http://twitter.com/ral ] is me

10. Posted April 22, 2009 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Here’s mine.

11. Posted April 22, 2009 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks to everyone for taking part so far!

Also another image from @tartanink via email.

@marchino: Unfortunately I don’t speak Italian apart from ‘Come stai’ and ‘Sto abbastanza bene’!

Do you know @manofroma? He is Italian, too.

12. Posted April 22, 2009 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

@Cat, no matter :)

13. Posted April 22, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

and no, I don’t know manofroma

14. Posted April 22, 2009 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Ah well, he’s the only Italian on my Twitter, but tweets in English mostly.

And another one from @sunburntkamel: http://atmyworst.com/post/98907642/gpoyhw-my-sample-for-carocats-penmanship

15. Posted April 22, 2009 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

78704 = zip code for (South) Austin, TX)

16. Posted April 22, 2009 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Ah, thanks! Another thing I’ve learned today!

17. Laurel
    Posted April 24, 2009 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

What about “Sphinx of black quartz, hear my vow?”

18. Posted April 25, 2009 at 1:10 am | Permalink

That’s another one, you’re right. I don’t think it flows quite as well as the other ones though?

19. Posted April 27, 2009 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

To keep track: http://twitpic.com/4491a

And http://herheadhurts.tumblr.com via email.

20. Posted April 28, 2009 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

I just sent mine to your mail. :)

-J

21. Posted April 29, 2009 at 2:53 am | Permalink

Got it, thanks so much! :D

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] impressive is the response to my call for handwriting samples and I have 18 samples so far of which most are from people not in my immediate online circles. [...]

2. [...] Handwriting samples. This entry was written by Cat, posted on 21/04/2009 at 2:23 pm, filed under Photos. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL. « Twitpic The chocolate cake for my grandad’s birthday which was today. Three layers of cream/chocolate would explain the sugar high I’ve been having since.. It’s sunny outside! on Twitpic » [...]