This scarf went through quite a few versions before I finally settled on something.
Originally I planned to knit a scarf in just a single colour, the red, then thought about using a pattern I’d seen in Let’s Knit which, annoyingly, isn’t available online, but couldn’t get that one working properly. The different rows were meant to align to give a staggered impression, but seeing how my knitting isn’t fully aligned and with the same consistency yet I couldn’t get them to align properly and it looked a bit shoddy.
So I’ve changed it to this:
- Used two colours, both Hayfield Bonus DK. Colour A is a dark red, colour B a dark purple.
- Cast on 36 stitches with colour A.
- Row 1 k4, p4, k4, p4, k4, k4, p4, k4, p4, k4, p4, k4.
- Row 2 p4, k4, p4, k4, k4, p4, k4, p4, k4, p4, k4, p4.
- Changed to colour B and repeat row 1-2.
- The fringe bits at the end are roughly 15-20cm long and took forever to attach.
It’s really straightforward but it ends up looking very impressive. I think it was probably the most complex project I had to date as it involved different type of stitches and two colours and the challenge was to not have the colours twist up when switching! Overall completion time was around 16 hours with about two of them for the fringe bits, but it’s still one of my favourite projects which I think is mainly due to the gorgeous colours!
As for the ‘magic carpet’, well, this is thanks to a friend’s kid who fully believes I travel to their house with my magic carpet that I was knitting [this scarf!]. Truth be told, I’d much prefer a magic carpet to public transport!