Tonight I cooked roasted savoy cabbage with mashed potatoes and carrots loosely following the Abel & Cole recipe. With hindsight I should have probably followed it closer rather than just seeing what happens, but it turned out lovely. I used:
A whole savoy cabbage though the one I had was kind of small.
- Half of a large white onion.
- Three potatoes.
- Three tiny carrots.
- Several garlic gloves.
- 500ml chicken stock.
- Black pepper.
- Some butter.
For the cabbage I:
- Cut the onion and diced it.
- Peeled the garlic gloves and crushed them.
- Added them in a pan with butter to brown them.
- Cut the cabbage into five pieces.
- Added them to the pan and left them in there for a few minutes on each side.
- Placed everything and the chicken stock in a dish.
- Added some thyme and black pepper.
- Left in the oven for half an hour.
For the mash I:
- Peeled the potatoes and carrots and cut them into small pieces.
- Cooked them until almost too tender.
- Mashed them with a little bit of chicken stock from the oven.
I had never considered cooking savoy cabbage this way, but it was lovely, if a little less strongly flavoured. I think in the future I will try to make sure the savoy cabbage has more taste as it is one of my favourite vegetables.