When I was younger I used to read a lot of books and it wasn’t unusual to finish a book a day. In recent years, however, that’s become much more rare until I realised last year that I hadn’t read a book in over six months. I still listened to audiobooks though, most prominently to the Lord of the Rings audiobook narrated by Rob Inglis and the Harry Potter series narrated by Stephen Fry, but even the best audiobook doesn’t compare to actually reading a book.
The first book I bought after the dry spell was Sophie Kinsella’s ‘Shopaholic and Sister’ which I finished the same day after being unable to put it down. That was followed by John Grisham’s ‘The Appeal’ which took me several days to finish as he still hasn’t returned to his former glory days with books like ‘The Pelican Brief’.
There are several authors that I would qualify as my favourite ones, however, with most of them I’ve found the quality of their books has decreased the more books they publish. I still consider Patricia Cornwell’s Kay Scarpetta series is still one of my favourite ones to date, even though I predominantly read her new releases to find out what is happening with the characters.
Recently I’ve also joined librarything after hesitating for years knowing that my obsessive self would want all the books I’ve ever read added to it. So far I’ve been able to withstand that though! My profile.
All the posts that mention books can be tracked via the Books category [original, I know!] and below is a list of book or author reviews:
- Patricia Cornwell – Looking at Kay Scarpetta
- Patricia Cornwell – The search for ‘Jack the Ripper’
- Patricia Cornwell – Her other work
- The Harry Potter challenge – Book 1
- Mary Higgins Clark – Two little girls in blue
- Stephen Leather – The Double Tap
- Lee Child – Bad Luck and Trouble
- Michael Robotham – Drowning Man
- Hints on etiquette and the usages of society with a glance at bad habits
- The Sleepless Nanny by Christa Charter [@trixie360]
- The English German Girl by Jack Wallis Simons
- Agatha Raisin series by M. C. Beaton
- Memories of the Future – Volume 1 by Wil Wheaton [@wilw]
- More on the Agatha Raising series
And these are some other posts referencing or mentioning books:
- Books vs Internet!
- Swimming elephants
- “Does Harry Potter die in the Order of the the Phoenix?”
- 50 things NOT to do at Hogwarts
- Has blogging changed me?
- “Thanks for ordering from Amazon.co.uk”
- Classic books I’ve read
- The Hobbit
- All Kindle’d up!
- Children’s stories
- Broken Kindle!
Random photos I’ve taken of books in the past: