Mass Effect – First impressions

Mass Effect is a game I’ve been wanting to play for almost two years now. I finally managed to get it on Thursday and have been playing it A LOT since, but haven’t really touched on the main mission.

Be aware, there may be spoilers to the sidequests.

Initial impressions:

• It is a very big game. Many planets, many people.
  • It is incredible beautiful.
  • There are only a very limited number of loading screens. For example it’s possible walking round the entire Citadel Station [the main area with council, shops, bars, medical, security, embassies and much more] without a single loading screen.
  • Apart from the game’s main story there are many underlining stories, such as Xenophobia with aliens distrusting humans, humans distrusting aliens and personal vendettas.
  • There are some interesting moral decisions, such as whether genetic treatment for babies with a possible fatal condition is good or if experiments for ‘gifted’ children can cause problems later on.
  • The voice overs and dialogue options are superb.
  • The music.
  • The extremely powerful scenes, such as but not only the Council meetings.
  • Some great side missions, such as:
    • Being interviewed for TV.
    • A ‘religious’ sect with a leader named ‘Father’ Kyle.
    • Hostage situations.
    • Illegal experiments.
    • Whether a dead soldiers body should be used to conduct experiments that can save thousands or be given to the husband.

The only ‘bad’ aspects so far:

• Not being able to access the Journal when looking at the Galaxy map. Yes, it’s an absolute minor point, but still annoying!
  • The party members don’t feel as they did on KotOR I and II. There isn’t as much incentive to learn their backstory.
  • Kaiden Alenko has the same voice actor as Carth Onasi from KotOR. I keep wondering what Carth is doing there and how he escaped ‘Star Wars’!
  • Seth Green’s voice acting is great, but whenever I talk to his character, Joker, I get reminded of this outtakes video he did.
  • Thresher Maws. They literally scare the shit out of me.

The game takes many aspects from games that I love. Some are:

• Minor elements such as persuasion [‘Charm’] and threat [‘Intimidate’] from the KotOR series.
  • Being able to make a speech. KotOR again [KotOR II, Dantooine].
  • News stories that are affected by the actions in the game and maybe slightly altered for the ‘masses’! Deus Ex Invisible War.

Some of the great quotes so far:

She may save more lives in death than she did in life.

Homecoming quest

“The environmental suits protect us against diseases.”
“Ah. Well, I’ll try not to sneeze!”

Conversation between Kaiden and Tali.

Put the Normandy in my hands and I’ll make her dance for you. Just don’t ask me to get up and dance, unless, you know, you like the sound of snapping shin bones!

Joker about his ability to fly and his condition with weak bones.

This is an amazing game which my post probably doesn’t even reflect. Well worth the wait. :)

To finish it off, a random quote from Matt that came up on msn which had to be included:

I mean, not ZOMG, but like, WTF.

And as a very last thing, this very much reminds me of myself at the moment.

This entry was posted in BioWare, Community and Games, Ctrl-Alt-Del, KotOR, Mass Effect, Music, Soundtrack, Xbox Live. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Mass Effect – First impressions

1. Matt says:

Well, of course when taken out of context my quote looks really stupid, but it made sense in the converation! :P

And I looooooooove this game.

2. Cat says:

Yeah, I suppose. The quote came from:

Cat: The geth have been living completely cut off from everyone else for centuries and they attack Eden Prime.
    Cat: But instead if everyone going: ZOMG it’s the geth, wtf do they want. everyone just says Oh, its the geth…
    Matt : Yeah
    Matt : But everyone is pretty shocked once you get to the main city
    Cat | : Ah, ok
    Matt: I mean, not ZOMG, but like, WTF

Either way it’s funny.

3. Ashish says:

Tadadadatada! Ciara Sheperd to save the universe, up up and awaaaaaay!! :P

From what you tell me it looks oh-so-interesting. ;)

4. Cat says:

It is. It ranks up there with my alltime favourite games. You need a 360!

5. Ashish says:

You need a 360!
    Okay, when I get a 360 in five years from now, I’ll make sure to play this game. :P

6. Cat says:

It should be at the top of your list!

5 years??!

7. Ashish says:

Yeah it is at the top of my list, but hey getting a PC with a great graphics card and playing all Age/Warcraft games, buying a camera, staying alive, buying food come before that. :P

8. Cat says:

Nah, you’re wrong. 360 above all!

9. becky says:

You are right Cat, a great game and for sure, a great post from yourself. How do I do trackbacks? lol

10. Pingback: sprites & bites » Mass Effect Initial Impressions

11. Cat says:

Thank you very much. You know this was actually just meant to be a short post along the lines of ‘I have Mass Effect and I’m loving it’, but it grew.

12. becky says:

Mass Effect I am loving it but now I have to go to work :(

13. Cat says:

Oh no! Well, it will still be there when you get back!

14. becky says:

Phew.. only just got home. Dinner then game :)

15. Sweet lil review Cat! I want this game BAD! I can’t wait! :)

16. Cat says:

Thank you. You reall need to get it! How come you haven’t got it yet? It’s been out nearly a week over there.

17. Pingback: November ‘07 digest Part 2 « Cat’s blog

18. Pingback: All about games.. « Cat’s blog

19. mistercrow says:

Mass Effect is a brilliant game. One of my favorite this gen.

20. Pingback: Things I’d like to see improved in Mass Effect 2 « carocat.co.uk

21. Ross says:

I enjoy what you guys are usually up too. This kind of clever work and exposure!
    Keep up the very good works guys I’ve added you guys to my blogroll.

Want to leave me a lovely comment? Please do!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s