@fbstj and me go way back. I mean in internet times I think it’s about four lifetimes at least! I first met him in 2006 when I joined PSU.com and I’d like to think I can somewhat be credited with him being on Twitter!
So what’s there to say about him? He’s pretty awesome, that’s what! He’s a geek, he’s a coder, he’s modified my blog theme for me when I’ve had a colourchange [if you look at the bottom right of this blog you’ll see he’s credited with the change though it’s using his old name] and he’s generally just awesome.
So what’s there to say about him on Twitter? Well, his tweets are pretty random and he’s very conscious about the amount of people he’s following. He likes to read the WoT series and talked about it so much that I bought the first book as well though I’ve yet to read more than the first 50 pages as I don’t feel I can currently commit that much time into an unfinished series.
He also knows his memes and he tends to be my go to guy whenever there’s an internet meme I don’t get which lately has been most of them!
Ladies and gents, I’d like you to meet @fbstj!
1. Where are you from?
2. How old are you?
3. What do you do for a living?
Currently I’ve finished studying at Lancaster Uni studying Computer Science and Mathematics waiting for my results. I’m also working in a little technology firm, producing various desktop applications and embedded programs and generally having an awesome time.
4. What does your alias/nickname mean and how did you come up with it?
Well there’s a story.
I’ve had a few nicks over the years, my first being star.torturer which was a throwback to a website a couple of friends and I made one year in school. After a few years I got bored of this and one day daydreamed a scenario like this: what happens to bullets after they’ve been fired in the air by celebratory mobs/cowboys…. and so I became FallingBullets.
Then it came to getting myself a website, I thought ‘well, xkcd has a 4 letter username/domain, and that works well, what can I make thats short’ (since fallingbullets.com and its ilk were taken). I somehow concatenated the initials of my previous nicks and my first name into fbstj and the rest is history…. I also use fbstjoe if I have to and Joe ST for when I dont want to give my surname.
5. What do you want to be when you grow up and has that changed at all since you were little?
Heh, asking me things in the past (even the past 5 minutes) is a futile game…my memory is shocking. All I want to be is a programmer/code-monkey.
6. What song are you thinking about right now?
The songs that are in my head are as follows: WOODKID-Iron, Indukti – …And Who’s the God now?!, and the music from a Youth Orchestra concert I was at (when you were pestering me to reply :P)
7. Do you have a Last.fm profile?
8. What are you reading at the moment? [Book, magazine, website, Wikipedia article..]
Well, I’m constantly on Google Reader, lots and lots of feeds, including ~50 webcomics. My current book is Malazan Book of the Fallen but I’ve a large stack on my to-read pile which you can find at LibraryThing.
9. Which video game are you playing these days and is it as good as you thought it would be? [provided you play video games that is!]
Hehe I used to be a good little gamer,…well not very good actually, only completed a couple of games in my life, but yeah…I loved Final Fantasy IX, Crash Bandicoot, Metal Gear Solid, and many others. Recently I’ve been too busy (procrastinating) so haven’t really played much, I did try out MineCraft though, which was fun. I’ll probably spend a few hours on Portal 2 if I can be bothered to get a windows machine.
10. What is the weather like at the moment?
Much improved upon yesterday, its pretty nice out…not that I spend much time outside
11. What are your plans for the rest of the day?
My plans for what day? It’s pretty much just go to work, read on the commute, program for 6 hours, come home and eat, surf and sleep.
12. If you could replace anyone in any TV show, who would you pick?
Anyone in a scifi/fantasy that gets to travel/experience a different world.
13. If you had the chance to work on the Enterprise [Star Trek ship!], what job would you have?
A redshirt probably, I’m of no use and would probably be killed off asap. I dont really mind, as long as I’d got to have some fun travelling I guess.
14. Seeing that I’m a grumpy person in the morning I’ve realized I can’t live with people that are overly happy as soon as they wake up. Would you be a good flatmate?
I guess so, I’m pretty quiet (shy), so I’ll get ready without bringing too much cheer to your mornings.
15. What is the best website you’ve come across recently?
Hmmmm, I don’t do much surfing outside of my bookmarks >.>, but 17thshard is a great little community of Brandon Sanderson (author) fans, and I’m a big fan. They have a wiki which I like to procrastinate upon, lol.
16. How long have you been on Twitter for and when did you realise you were sucked in by it?
A good few years, but not as long as @carocat :p. And I’m not really sucked in, I just like the people on there.
17. Settle this question for me: PC or Mac?
Heh, well… Windows just doesn’t work, not even in the slightest. Mac’s are pretty shiney, and if they ‘just work’ then I’m fine with them, bit expensive though. I like Linux, which can run on a Mac, a PC, an Acorn, your console, a toaster…whatever, Linux wins for me.
18. And another one: ice cream or cake?
Cake. Simple as.
19. Fill this out however you want: “Today I am ____ and I ____, but ____, because ____.”
Today I am tired and I want more cake, but all is well, because my life is wonderful.
20. What do you want everyone to know about you, who are you, what makes you tick? [aka describe yourself]
I’m a geek, shy introverted and boring.
21. What is the last thing that you’ve felt proud about?
The last thing I felt proud of is really silly: I asked my boss if I could have the morning off… It’s a big thing when you’re as shy as me.
22. If I wanted to stalk you on the internet where would I have to go?
23. Any more comments?
Thank you so much for taking part!
We also both kind of agreed that #TwitLight needs a ‘what are you thinking about now’ question and this would have been his answer: “I’m also thinking (everything but gf’s stuff) I’m wondering whether to talk to a girl that I loved years a go, I want her to be happy but she’s not, so here’s me wanting to help but not knowing how to instigate such an exchange (to be clinical)…”